Daily Business Report — Oct. 19, 2010
Vote for the Most Admired Company
San Diego Metropolitan Magazine is soliciting nominations for the 15 Most Admired Companies in San Diego County. The winning companies will be profiled in the December issue of the magazine. To nominate a company, fill out the form on our Website: sandiegometro.com. The deadline is Oct. 30. For more information, call Rebeca Page at (619) 906-4104 or send an e-mail to her at email@example.com.
Kenneth Medel Appointed to Superior Court Bench
Kenneth J. Medel, owner and principal attorney for The Medel Law Firm since 2001, has been appointed to the San Diego County Superior Court bench by Gov. Schwarzenegger. Medel, 56, of San Diego, is a Democrat. The pay is $178,789 annually. Medel was a partner at Medel and Rawers from 1997 to 2001 and was an associate, then partner, for the Ault, Deuprey, Jones and Gorman law firm from 1987 to 1997. He was a deputy district attorney for the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office from 1980 to 1987. Medel earned his law degree from the University of San Diego School of Law and a bachelor’s degree from the University of California, Irvine. He fills the vacancy created by the retirement of Judge Michael Bennett Orfield.
Scott Cappel Wins National Printing Industry Award
Scott Cappel, owner and founder of Sorrento Mesa Printing, has been named the National Association for Printing Leadership’s 2010 Printer of the Year for its small and quick printer division. Printing executives across the U.S. voted for Cappel in recognition for his outstanding service and unselfish contribution of time, talent and energy to the association and to the industry. The award was presented at the organization’s recent annual conference in Chicago and represents the 23rd national accolade bestowed upon Cappel and his company since he founded Sorrento Mesa Printing in 1987.
A 1984 graduate of UCSD, Cappel began working as a pressman and sold printing in the summers between classes. After graduation, he became a research assistant at the Salk Institute of Biological Studies, where he was listed as a co-author on a number of published papers in the scientific literature. The love for business was his lifelong calling, however, and he opened Sorrento Mesa Printing shortly thereafter.
Cappel is a member of many national printing organizations, including the National Association for Printing Leadership, where he was a national conference co-chair, the Printing Industry of America and PODi, the Digital Printing Initiative.
Historic Bond Sale Provides Airport Expansion Funding
The San Diego County Regional Airport Authority has reported the largest bond sale in the history of San Diego International Airport that will provide coninued funding for the multi-million dollar Green Build Terminal 2 expansion project. The Airport Authority secured an interest rate of 4.38 percent for the bonds, which it said would save more than $40 million over the 30-year term of the bonds. No additional bond issuances for the building project will be necessary until 2012. In all, the sale amounted to $572,565,000 in Subordinate Airport Revenue Bonds.
The Green Build project is expected to help meet the region’s current and future demand for air travel, with 10 new gates, expanded passenger waiting areas, a dual-level roadway with curbside check-in, additional security lanes, expanded concessions and airfield improvements.
Council Approves Equal Benefits Ordinance
The San Diego City Council on Monday approved an Equal Benefits Ordinance (EBO) that will apply to any contract entered into, awarded, renewed or extended on or after Jan. 1, 2011. The ordinance, presented by Councilman Todd Gloria, ensures that city contractors provide domestic partners of employees the same benefits provided to spouses of employees. The EBO will not require city contractors to begin offering benefits not previously offered. If a contractor does not offer benefits to married employees, it is not required to offer benefits to employees in domestic partnerships.
Farzeen Essa Heads South Asian Bar Association
Farzeen Essa, an associate attorney at Brown Law Group, has been named president of the South Asian Bar Association of San Diego. The nonprofit organization promotes the professional and academic development of its members and increase the opportunities for South Asian-American legal professionals to participate in and lead civic and public affairs. Essa has been a member of the board since 2008. She helped organize events and plan for the annual dinner and awards ceremony. Essa was a founding board member of the Girls Think Tank, a grass roots nonprofit organization. She also serves on the California Western School of Law Alumni Board of Directors and the board of directors for the Young New Lawyers Division of the San Diego County Bar Association.
Ryan Vaspra and Kelly Maguire Join Aviatech
Ryan Vaspra has been named senior director of interactive media of San Diego-based Aviatech and Kelly Maguire joins the company as digital and emerging media manager. The advertising agency specializes in digital and integrated marketing communications. Vaspra spearheaded the development of a variety of programs in his role as chief technology officer for RJS Financial Group Inc., and was international project manager for Concur Technologies Inc. Maguire worked as strategist at Omnicom network OMD, and was senior program manager at Performics while owned by Google.
SCORE San Diego Small Business Workshops
Fees range from $29 to $109 depending on the program.
• Oct. 20 – Import/Export – 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Point Loma Nazarene University in Mission Valley (4007 Camino del Rio South, San Diego 92108; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Oct. 22 – Internet Marketing 302: E-mail Strategy – 9 a.m. to noon at Point Loma Nazarene University in Mission Valley (4007 Camino del Rio South, San Diego 92108; pre-paid registration $49, $59 at the door).
• Oct. 22 – Business Basics 101 – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at SCORE Entrepreneur Center (550 West C St., #550, San Diego 92101; FREE! Please pre-register).
• Oct. 23 – Effective Marketing - 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Point Loma Nazarene University in Mission Valley (4007 Camino del Rio South, San Diego 92108; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Oct. 25 – Internet Marketing 201: SEO – Carlsbad – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Oct. 26 – How to Start and Manage Your Own Business - 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. at Point Loma Nazarene University in Mission Valley (4007 Camino del Rio South, San Diego 92108; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Oct. 27 – Business Plan 201: How to Write a Business Plan – 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Point Loma Nazarene University in Mission Valley (4007 Camino del Rio South, San Diego 92108; pre-paid registration $99, $109 at the door).
• Oct. 28 – Financial Statements – Carlsbad – 9:30-11:30 a.m. at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).
• Oct. 29 – Marketing for Non-Profits – 9-11:30 a.m. at San Diego Foundation – Liberty Station (2508 Historic Decatur Rd #200, San Diego 92106; pre-paid registration $39, $49 at the door).
For more information, call (619) 557-7272 or visit score-sandiego.org.
The Daily Business Report is produced by REP Publishing Inc., publisher of San Diego Metropolitan Magazine, the North Park News, Kensington News and the West Coast Craftsman. (619) 906-4104.