San Diego County Credit Union in Growth Mode
2010 was a year of change, growth and accomplishment for San Diego County Credit Union. Despite the economic downturn, the credit union was able to grow and expand and to meet the financial needs of its members. Total locations grew to include 28 branches servicing three counties, membership increased to more than 212,000 and assets grew to nearly $5 billion.
SDCCU is the largest locally owned financial institution in San Diego and its assets are nearly three times as great as its nearest competitor. According to industry sources, SDCCU has achieved status as one of California’s top home loan lenders out of more than 270 credit unions with respect to mortgages and home equity loans and lines of credit.
Business accounts grew by 11 percent to over 9,900 accounts at year-end. The business deposit portfolio grew by approximately 7 percent, exceeding $88 million. The credit union also maintains a strong performing business loan portfolio of over $447 million.
SDCCU’s concierge auto buying service, Auto Express Sales & Leasing, delivered cars to over 450 members. Many members took advantage of the credit union’s competitive auto loan rates and terms and their great leasing program that offers a generous mileage allowance and flexible terms with no security deposit.
It launched an updated Visa product in 2010 as well as a new Fly Miles Plus Reward program Website highlighting new and easier ways to redeem rewards. Included in the improvements were charity and green options with the removal of restrictions on travel.
During the year SDCCU was able to provide some members with historical low interest rates for an opportunity to refinance their home and enjoy lower payments.
To keep up with technological trends and offer their members increased convenience, SDCCU introduced several new products and services:
• Check Car Overdraft Service.
• Live Chat online with an SDCCU representative during normal business hours.
• MoneyTracker. This budgeting tool provides members the opportunity to view accounts from all of their financial institutions within a secure Internet Branch.
• QuickBooks. Business members can now quickly and easily download their transaction data from Internet Branch to QuickBooks with a click of a mouse.
• SDCCUDirect. Enables members to directly transfer funds between their external accounts and those at SDCCU.
• ZashPay. Members can now pay people directly from Bill Payer Plus, using the recipient’s email address or mobile phone number.