Daily Business Report — June 21, 2011
Draw Your Own Redistricting Map
The San Diego Redistricting Commission will give city residents the opportunity to create their own redistricting maps at an in-person software training session June 23. The session will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Learning Resource Center at San Diego City College, 1313 Park Blvd. (Computer Lab Room 105). Residents can learn hands-on at individual computer stations on how to create, share and submit redistricting maps to the commission. RSVP by calling (619) 533-3064. The Redistricting Commission was created to comply with the San Diego City Charter mandate that the City Council districts be redistricted at least every 10 years to reflect changes in population. This year, the commission must create boundaries for a ninth City Council district. Personnel from Esri will be giving the software training.
City Charter Section 5.1 Requirements:
• Nine districts to be created composed of whole census units as developed by the U.S. Bureau of the Census.
• Each has one-ninth of city’s population.
• Goal is 144,624 people per district.
• Lines should not be drawn to favor incumbents.
Real Estate EXPO & Conference Set for June 24
The San Diego Association of Realtors will hold its 2011 Real Estate EXPO & Conference on June 24 at the Town and Country Resort from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. The event is expected to attract thousands of attendees from Southern California. Officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, San Diego County District Attorney’s Office, the Department of Real Estate, Freddie Mac and Bank of America will discuss fraud in today’s marketplace. The EXPO will have about 100 companies exhibiting real estate-related products and services. The Expo & Conference is free of charge with the exception of the keynote luncheon, which costs $29 per person. For more details or to pre-register, visit sdarexpo.com.
Silvergate Bank Opens Escondido Branch
Silvergate Bank has opened a new branch at 128 North Broadway in Escondido. Vice President and Branch Manager Jill Brierton leads a team of five commercial bankers who staff the branch. “The opening of our new Escondido branch is an important milestone in our commitment to expanding our service capabilities throughout San Diego County,” said Alan J. Lane, president and CEO. “Our Escondido branch banking staff has long-term experience in the North County area and is dedicated to providing the quality products and high service levels that customers of the Bank have come to expect.”
Veteran Joins Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa
Wave Crest Hotels and Resorts has appointed industry veteran Kathy Van Vechten vice president of sales and marketing of the new Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa now under construction. The resort is situated just south of Carlsbad and is scheduled to open in 2012. In her new role, Van Vechten will also oversee the VP of sales and marketing for sister property Hilton Garden Inn, Carlsbad. A specialist in luxury hotel openings, Van Vechten brings more than 32 years of experience in the hotel sales and marketing arena. Her track record includes the opening of five major resorts, the most recent being Terranea Resort, a luxury oceanfront property in Rancho Palos Verdes. Prior to Terranea, Van Vechten spent 19 years with Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts. Prior to that, she held sales and marketing positions with Hotel Inter-Continental, San Diego, the Kona Surf Resort and Country Club, the Westgate Hotel San Diego and the San Diego Hilton Beach and Tennis Resort. She also directed sales efforts for the San Diego Convention and Visitors Bureau.
SCORE San Diego continues its series of low-cost workshops. Fees range from $29 to $109, depending on the program. To register online, visit score-sandiego.org. For more information, call (619) 557-7272.
• June 22 – Business Plan 201: How to Write a Winning Business Plan – 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $99, $109 at the door).
• June 28 – Introduction to Starting Your Own Business – 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• June 29 – Tax Considerations for Small Business – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).
• June 30 – Business Basics 101 – 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego 92123; no charge – please pre-register).
The Daily Business Report is produced by REP Publishing Inc., publisher of SD METRO, the North Park News, Kensington News and the West Coast Craftsman. Contact: Manny Cruz (619) 287-1865.