Daily Business Report — July 21, 2011
Cubic to Work on Port Security in Panama
Cubic Applications Inc. has received a nine-month contract from the Organization of American States (OAS) to provide seaport security assessments and training for six ports in Panama. The contract covers the six principal port facilities in Panama, four container ports/terminals and two cruise ship terminals. It includes the Port of Balboa, located at the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal, and the Port of Cristobal, Port of Cristobal Cruise Terminal, Manzanillo Container Terminal, Colon Container Terminal, and Colon Cruise Terminal, all located on the Caribbean side of Panama. “By conducting seaport security training for Panama, the OAS and Cubic are providing an invaluable service to the maritime industry worldwide, since so much of the world’s cargo goes through the Panama Canal,” said Peter Miller, director of maritime security programs for Cubic.
S.D. Foundation Names Board of Governors Chairman
Jennifer Adams-Brooks has been named chair of The San Diego Foundation’s board of governors. She is president of Clark Consultants, a firm that specializes in human resource counsulting and executive coaching. Former posts include chief of staff for members of the state Assembly and San Diego City Council, and interim executive director for the Southeast Economic Development Corp. She serves on several local boards, including vice chair of the San Diego Housing Commission, the UCSD Board of Overseers and the Springall Academy. She earned a bachelor’s degree in communications and urban planning from UCSD. Adams-Brooks is chair of Friends of The Foundation and the Civil Society Working Group and vice chair of the foundation’s Center for Civic Engagement.
Alaska Airlines to Start Daily San Diego to Honolulu Service
Alaska Airlines will expand its service between San Diego and Hawaii with daily nonstop flights to Honolulu, beginning Nov. 17. The service is in addition to the airline’s existing daily nonstop flights between San Diego and Kahului, Maui, which started last year. The airline is offering a special introductory fare of $149 each way for tickets purchased by July 25, for travel from Nov. 17 through Dec. 15. Flights from San Diego to Honolulu depart at 9:15 a.m. and arrive at 1:15 p.m. daily. Return flights depart at 3:40 p.m. and arrive in San Diego at 11:15 p.m.
SCORE San Diego continues its series of low-cost workshops. Fees range from $29 to $109, depending on the program. To register online, visit score-sandiego.org. For more information, call (619) 557-7272.
• July 22 – Intellectual Property: Promise and Practicalities – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).
• July 25 – Customer Service: The Key to Business Success – 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $39, $49 at the door).
• July 26 – Internet Marketing for Nonprofits – 9 to 11:30 a.m. The San Diego Foundation in Point Loma (2508 Historic Decatur Rd., #200, San Diego 92106; pre-paid registration $39, $49 at the door).
• July 26 – Business Basics 101 – 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; no charge – please pre-register).
• July 27 – Internet Marketing 302: Develop a Winning Email Marketing Success Strategy – 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $49, $59 at the door).
• July 28 – Marketing & Contracting with the Federal Government – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• July 29 – Financial Statements: What They Mean, How to Use Them – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).