Daily Business Report — July 28, 2011
New Redevelopment Law Explained
The San Diego Housing Federation will host an Aug. 2 workshop on the state’s new redevelopment law and how it will affect public investment in the region, the development of affordable housing. It will be held from 10 a.m. to noon at the San Diego Foundation Hoffman Room, 2508 Historic Decatur Road in Liberty Station, Point Loma. The cost is $25. Leading the workshop will be attorneys Thomas Webber and Josh Mukhopadhyay from the law firm of Goldfarb & Lipman.
New Graduate Students to be Accepted at SDSU Business School
The College of Business Administration at San Diego State University announced that it will accept up to 300 new graduate students for spring semester 2012. It will be the largest enrollment of graduate students for a spring semester in the college’s history. The college is looking for qualified candidates to fill open slots for graduate students wishing to earn their master of business administration, master of science in accountancy, or master of science in business administration degrees. The application enrollment period runs from Aug. 1 through Nov. 1. The application file and materials submissions must be completed by Nov. Prospective students must apply through the California State University System at csumentor.edu. For more information on SDSU’s graduate business programs, call the business graduate office at (619) 594-8073, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit sdsu.edu/mba.
Conrad Prebys Donates $45 Million Toward Cardiovascular Institute
San Diego developer and philanthropist Conrad Prebys has donated $45 million toward the construction of the Scripps Cardiovascular Institute, which is scheduled to open in 2015. It is the largest donation in the history of Scripps Health and the largest made by Prebys. The new acute care hospital tower will be renamed the Prebys Cardiovascular Institute. The $456 million, seven-story, 383,000-square-foot institute will have 108 inpatient beds in private rooms, 60 intensive care beds, six state-of-the-art operating rooms and as many as six cardiac catheterization labs. Prebys is president of Progress Construction and Management Co., a real estate and development company that he founded in 1966.
Navy Change of Command Ceremony at NAS North Island
Capt. John Smajdek is scheduled to relieve Capt. Fred Melnick as commanding officer of the Navy’s Fleet Readiness Center Southwest on Aug. 4. The change of command ceremony will be held adjacent to Building 785 at NAS North Island at 10 a.m. Smajdek previously served as the command’s executive officer. Fleet Readiness Center Southwest is the Navy’s West Coast tactical aircraft depot and provides aircraft products and services to the Navy and Marine Corps. The command has detachments at five other locations: Marine Corps Air Stations at Miramar, Yuma, Ariz., and Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii; Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton and Naval Air Station Point Mugu.
Operations Manager Named for Radio Properties
Mike Shepard has been named programming/operations manager for BCA Radio San Diego properties XPRS FM–The Walrus 105.7, XPRS AM-XX 1090 and XEPE-ESPN AM-1700. Shepard has spent the past 15 years in San Diego as director of programming and operations for KSON-FM, KBZT-FM and KIFM-FM. He also has worked for media research companies, including serving as a vice president for Moyes Research Associates of Colorado Springs, Pinnacle Media Worldwide of Fallbrook and P-1 Research of Vancouver, Wash.
Small Business Workshops
SCORE San Diego continues its series of low-cost workshops. Fees range from $29 to $109, depending on the program. To register online, visit score-sandiego.org. For more information, call (619) 557-7272.
• July 29 – Financial Statements: What They Mean, How to Use Them – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).
• Aug. 2 Internet Marketing 201: Build Your Business through Search Engine Optimization 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Aug. 3 Financing Your Business 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at SCORE Entrepreneur Center (550 West C St., #550, San Diego 92101; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).
• Aug. 4 Tax Considerations for Small Businesses 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at SCORE Entrepreneur Center (550 West C St., #550, San Diego 92101; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).
• Aug. 5 Business Basics 101 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; no charge please pre-register).
• Aug. 6 Business Plan 101: How to Develop Your Best Competitive Advantage 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $79, $89 at the door).
• Aug. 6 Costing, Pricing, Break-Even Analysis 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $49, $59 at the door).
• Aug. 8 Introduction to Starting Your Own Business 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Aug. 10 Internet Marketing 303: Social Media for Small Businesses 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $49, $59 at the door).
The Daily Business Report is produced by REP Publishing Inc., publisher of SD METRO, the North Park News, Kensington News and the West Coast Craftsman. Contact: Manny Cruz (619) 287-1865.