Daily Business Report — Aug. 29, 2011
Coronado First Bank Shareholders Approve Merger
Shareholders of Coronado First Bank have approved a merger with Embarcadero Bank. The merger is expected to close in the third or fourth quarter. About 63.81 percent of Coronado Bank’s outstanding common stock voted. Of those, more than 99 percent voted to approve the merger. The bank will be called Coronado First Bank, which will operate under the Embarcadero Bank charter. The combined bank is expected to have more than $150 million in assets and more than $25 million in Tier 1 capital. Shareholders voted to recommend Whitney Benzian, Peter Q. Davis, David S. Engelman, and C. Danny Payne to serve on the surviving bank board.
UCSD Libraries Holds Sept. 15 Fundraising Dinner
The UCSD Libraries will host the annual “Dinner in the Library” Sept. 15 to benefit the Libraries’ collections and services. Held in the university’s Geisel Library, the event will feature cocktails, a silent auction, dinner and a talk on “San Diego and the Technology Revolution: The Next 50 Years,” by Mary Walshok, associate vice chancellor for public programs and dean of University Extension at UCSD Walshok is co-author of the book, “Closing America’s Job Gap.” Local philanthropist Charlie Robins will be honored with the Geisel Citation for Library Philanthropy in recognition of his counsel and financial contributions to the Libraries. A limited number of tickets for “Dinner in the Library” are available for $225. Cocktails and a silent auction are from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Dinner will be served in the Geisel Library at 7 p.m.
Jessica Mackaness Joins Luce Forward as an Associate
Jessica “Jessie” L. Mackaness has joined Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps as an associate in the firm’s San Diego office. Mackaness will join the insurance litigation practice group. Mackaness previously was an associate at Keesal, Young & Logan, where she represented a number of financial services institutions in securities litigation matters. She received her law degree from the University of San Diego School of Law and her bachelor’s degree from the University of Florida.
Higgs, Fletcher Attorneys Get YMCA Posts
Susan Mercure, a partner at the law firm of Higgs Fletcher & Mack, has been named chairman of the Board of Management of the Mission Valley YMCA. Jason Ross, an associate at Higgs Fletcher & Mack, has been named to the Board of Managers of the Downtown YMCA. Mercure will serve as chairman for the next two years, leading a 45-member board. She is a graduate of Stanford University and Cal Western School of Law. She is an estate planning attorney. Ross specializes in defending businesses and employers in business, employment, class action and real estate litigation. He graduated from Columbia University and earned a law degree from the University of San Diego Law School. The Downtown YMCA has a 42-member board.
Devcon Security Names San Diego Manager
Devcon Security, a home security monitoring and business alarm company, has named Russ Douglas general manager of the firm’s San Diego branch. Douglas joined Devcon Security in 2011 after working for four years in management and sales at the former Brink’s Home Security, prior to its acquisition. Prior to working in the security industry, Douglas spent three years working in management for Terminix International and another three years with The TJX Companies, also in management. Douglas studied media communications and broadcast journalism at the University of La Verne.
Voit Real Estate Services Expands San Diego Operations
Voit Real Estate Services has expanded its San Diego operations with the addition of seven specialists in the industry.
• Ronald Beck joined Voit as a vice president. He has 20 years of commercial real estate expertise and a track record of more than 400 completed sale and lease transactions encompassing more than 3.5 million square feet and totaling more than $850 million. He was previously at Coldwell Banker Commercial.
• Kyle Eigenman joined as a vice president specializing in the sale and leasing of office properties. He has leased and sold more than 4.5 million square feet of industrial, office and R&D property during his 15 years in the industry for a total consideration of $147 million.
• Curt Perry will serve as senior associate in Voit’s San Diego office and has more than five years of experience in landlord and tenant representation as well as investment sales. He was previously with Coldwell Banker Commercial.
• Ellen Thomas joined Voit as a senior associate. She will specialize in R&D spaces as well as office properties. Prior to joining Voit, Ellen was with Colliers International of San Diego for 12 years as vice president of marketing and was named “Top 5 Sales Producer” in the firm’s San Diego office.
• Nick Frasco relocated to Voit’s San Diego office as a representative of the Gallelli Investment Team, one of the top investment sales teams in Northern California and the West Coast. Frasco worked in Voit’s Irvine office for the past three years where he was involved in sale and lease of 446,000 square feet, with a transaction value of over $24 million.
• Matt Bean specializes in the sale and lease of industrial properties in San Diego’s I-15 corridor region. Bean began his career as a distressed asset specialist at Coldwell Banker Commercial after creating his own business while attending the University of Redlands.
• David Perry joined Voit’s San Diego office from Lee & Associates in Northern California. He specializes in the sale and leasing of industrial properties in San Diego’s South Bay region. Perry obtained his degree in finance with an emphasis in real estate at San Diego State University.
Small Business Workshops
SCORE San Diego continues its series of small business workshops. For more information, call (619) 557-7272 or visit score-sandiego.org.
• Aug. 30 Business Basics 101 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; no charge please pre-register).
• Aug. 31 Buying and Selling a Business 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Sept. 1 Hiring and Managing Employees 9 a.m. to noon at SCORE Entrepreneur Center (550 West C St., #550, San Diego 92101; pre-paid registration $49, $59 at the door).
• Sept. 6 Internet Marketing 101: Use the Internet to Successfully Market Your Business 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Sept. 7 Business Plan 101: How to Develop Your Best Competitive Advantage 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $79, $89 at the door).
• Sept. 7 QuickBooks Basic 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Sept. 8 Internet Marketing 301: Increase Sales through Pay-Per-Click 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $49, $59 at the door).
• Sept. 8 Financing Your Business 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at SCORE Entrepreneur Center (550 West C St., #550, San Diego 92101; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).
• Sept. 9 Business Basics 101 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; no charge please pre-register).
The Daily Business Report is produced by REP Publishing Inc., publisher of SD METRO, the North Park News and the West Coast Craftsman. Contact: Manny Cruz (619) 287-1865.