Daily Business Report — Sept. 12, 2011
Taste of Downtown Rescheduled
The 12th annual Taste of Downtown, originally scheduled for Sept. 8, has been rescheduled for Thursday, Sept. 29, from 5 to 9 p.m. The change was due to the countywide blackout. All previously sold tickets will be valid for the new date. To purchase tickets or for more information, visit downtownsandiego.org or mcfarlanepromotions.com or call (619) 233-5008.
Hoist Fitness Systems to Get New HQ
Hoist Fitness Systems has a build to sale agreement for a 130,000-square-foot building at 11900 Community Road in Poway for $15 million. In a separate transaction, the land at 11900 and 11886 Community Road, totaling 6.92 acres, was acquired for $5,628,000. The buyer of land was Greg Hamann with the Hamanm Companies. The seller was Tech Business Center Ventures. Hamman Companies is acting as the developer and contractor for the project. Hoist will be vacating 9990 Empire Street in Miramar, a building the company has occupied for more than 20 years. Hoist purchased that property in 2002 from AMB properties for $8 million and later sold it to Westcore properties in 2007 for $14.1 million. where they have remained as a tenant. Tim Hoag with Cushman & Wakefield said it was time for Hoist to make the next move up to a facility that would allow them to better showcase their product and provide better manufacturing and warehousing capabilities.
DIALOGO Receives Excellence in Business Award
DIÁLOGO, a San Diego based Hispanic-focused public relations specialist, has won the United Latino Business Coalition Excellence in Business Award. Lucia Tovar-Matthews, the firm’s CEO, will accept the 2011 ULBC Service Provider of the Year for her leadership in the Latino business community during an awards dinner Oct. 1 at the Phoenix Ritz-Carlton Hotel. According to Patti Tellez, ULBC nominations committee chair, “Lucia’s accomplishments stood out among her peers and was recognized by the nomination committee as examples of excellence in our business community.”
Small Business Workshops
SCORE San Diego continues its series of small business workshops. For more information, call (619) 557-7272 or visit score-sandiego.org.
• Sept. 13 Internet Marketing 302: Develop a Winning Email Marketing Success Strategy 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $49, $59 at the door).
• Sept. 14 Introduction to Starting Your Own Business 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Sept. 16 Women’s Networking Breakfast and Exhibits 8 to 11 a.m. at Morgan Run Resort & Club in Rancho Santa Fe (5690 Cancha de Golf, Rancho Santa Fe 92091; Attendees: $30 pre-paid registration by Sep. 13, $40 thereafter; Exhibitors: $80 pre-paid registration by Sep. 13, $90 thereafter).
• Sept. 16 Managing Grants and Contracts for Nonprofits 9 to 11:30 a.m. at The San Diego Foundation in Point Loma (2508 Historic Decatur Rd., #200, San Diego 92106; pre-paid registration $39, $49 at the door).
• Sept. 19 Business Basics 101 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; no charge please pre-register).
The Daily Business Report is produced by REP Publishing Inc., publisher of SD METRO, the North Park News and the West Coast Craftsman. Contact: Manny Cruz (619) 287-1865.