Daily Business Report — Sept. 13, 2011
Vargas Seeks to Abolish Unemployment Appeals Board
Democratic state Sen. Juan Vargas will author legislation to abolish the California Unemployment Appeals Board, claiming it is a wasteful board filled with “termed out, drunk driving legislators” who get paid $128,000 a year at taxpayers’ expense. “Every year it’s considered for dissolution by the administration, but this year I will author a bill so that our Legislature can decide to eliminate this board once and for all,” said Vargas before holding a press conference Monday in front of the Hall of Justice Downtown. He said he will urge sitting board members to resign while the elimination of the board is being considered. According to Vargas, board members serving on the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board get paid $128,000 per year to attend meetings one or two times per month that last between 30-45 minutes each. This calendar year, there are 16 meetings scheduled.
Vargas listed the board members in this fashion:
Robert Dresser, chairman; Roy Ashburn, termed-out legislator (drunk-driving arrest); Denise Moreno Ducheny, termed-out legislator (drunk driving arrest); Bonnie Garcia, termed-out legislator; Dennis Hollingsworth, termed-out legislator; George Plescia, termed-out legislator; Alberto Torrico, termed-out legislator.
Vargas represents the 40th State Senate District which includes the southern portion of San Diego County, portions of Riverside County, all of Imperial County and the U.S./Mexico border.
JPA to Get Update on Embarcadero Project
The Joint Powers Authority for the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan will receive an update on the first phase of the project when the panel meets at 9:30 a.m. on Sept. 15 in the board room of the Port of San Diego administration building at 3165 Pacific Highway. The first phase will transform the San Diego bay front from the Navy Pier to B Street Pier. It includes a 105-foot-wide esplanade with formal gardens, plazas, shade pavilions and a waterfront promenade. Street improvements will be made to North Harbor Drive and to West Broadway and a continuous 30-foot-wide bay front promenade will be created. The project is a collaboration among the Port of San Diego, Centre City Development Corp. and the city of San Diego.
Also on the agenda is a presentation of the conceptual design of the Lane Field setback park, a 1.66-acre park that will be created at the foot of West Broadway and North Harbor Drive. In addition, an update on the county of San Diego’s proposed waterfront park and an update on the North Embarcadero Port Master Plan Amendment are on the agenda.
Apartment Perspective Conference Set for Sept. 29
The 2012 Apartment Perspective Conference sponsored by the San Diego chapter of CCIM ) Certified Commercial Investment Member) will be held Sept. 29 at 7:30 a.m. the Doubletree Hotel Mission Valley. The conference will examine the potential for apartments to be a highly favored private and institutional investment opportunity that might lead the commercial real estate market toward recovery. “Our joint economic forecast which includes a panel of top industry experts, will prepare investors for 2012 and beyond, arming them with information pertinent to the ongoing credit crisis, structured changes within the economy, and demographic and behavioral shifts that will impact apartment investments and demonstrate their effect on the local commercial market,” said Fred Caminite, president of the CCIM board of directors and vice president of real estate with Kelly Capital. Tickets for the forecast are available online at http://chapters.ccim.com/sandiego or by calling (858) 539-5596. Prices are $45 for CCIM members through Sept. 26 and $55 after that date. Prices are $55 for nonmembers through Sept. 26 and $65 after that.
SCORE San Diego continues its series of small business workshops. For more information, call (619) 557-7272 or visit score-sandiego.org.
• Sept. 14 Introduction to Starting Your Own Business 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Sept. 16 Women’s Networking Breakfast and Exhibits 8 to 11 a.m. at Morgan Run Resort & Club in Rancho Santa Fe (5690 Cancha de Golf, Rancho Santa Fe 92091; Attendees: $30 pre-paid registration by Sep. 13, $40 thereafter; Exhibitors: $80 pre-paid registration by Sep. 13, $90 thereafter).
• Sept. 16 Managing Grants and Contracts for Nonprofits 9 to 11:30 a.m. at The San Diego Foundation in Point Loma (2508 Historic Decatur Rd., #200, San Diego 92106; pre-paid registration $39, $49 at the door).
• Sept. 19 Business Basics 101 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; no charge please pre-register).
• Sept. 20 California Sales and Use Tax Basics 1 to 3 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).
• Sept. 21 Business Plan 201: How to Write a Winning Business Plan 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $99, $109 at the door).
• Sept. 22 How to Start a Nonprofit 9 to 11:30 a.m. at The San Diego Foundation in Point Loma (2508 Historic Decatur Rd., #200, San Diego 92106; pre-paid registration $39, $49 at the door).
• Sept. 23 Professional Selling: Increase Your Business Sales Now! 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Sept. 27 Marketing and Contracting with State and Local Governments 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Sept. 29 Tax Considerations for Small Business 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at SCORE Entrepreneur Center (550 West C St., #550, San Diego 92101; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).
• Sept. 30 Business Basics 101 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; no charge please pre-register).
The Daily Business Report is produced by REP Publishing Inc., publisher of SD METRO, the North Park News and the West Coast Craftsman. Contact: Manny Cruz (619) 287-1865.