Daily Business Report — Oct. 11, 2011
Westin Gaslamp Quarter Completes Floors Makeover
The Westin Gaslamp Quarter in Downtown San Diego has completed its meeting and event space on the second and third floors, and will begin the final phase of its $25 million renovation later this year with a redesigned lobby, restaurant and lounge.
Completion is scheduled for next year.
The meeting and event space features floor-to-ceiling enhancements, including new carpet, wall coverings, artwork and lighting as well as a complete makeover of the public restrooms. state-of-the-art audio visual and teleconferencing equipment caters to meetings of all types.
Located on the second floor, the 9,100-square-foot California Ballroom features all-new accents, lighting and rigging capabilities and can be used for both corporate meetings and social events such as weddings, galas and anniversary parties. The newly remodeled Pacifica Boardroom is for smaller groups and VIP executives with its new boardroom table and executive chair set-up.
Cavignac & Associates Hires Account Manager
Cavignac & Associates has hired Vanessa Holmes, a six-year veteran of the insurance industry, as an account manager. Holmes is charged with managing a roster of commercial accounts for the company’s property and casualty team, and providing risk management services and counsel to clients. She was a property and casualty team account manager for Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. in San Francisco and was a personal banker for Wells Fargo Bank in Concord, Calif. Holmes holds a bachelor’s degree from California State University, Hayward.
International Stem Cell Corp. Promotes May to President
International Stem Cell Corp. in Carlsbad has promoted Kurt May, senior vice president, to president and chief operating officer of the company. The firm also named Andrey Semechkin, the firm’s chief executive officer, as co-chairman with founder Kenneth Aldrich. Prior to joining ISCO, May was a senior executive with GTE Corp. and with PriceSmart Inc., and the founder and CEO of a privately owned biotech company, Psynomics, based on medical technology derived from UCSD. May served as a faculty member and assistant dean of UCSD’s Rady School of Management from 2005 to 2009.
Stiles Promoted to Vice President of Nuffer, Smith, Tucker
Teresa Stiles has been promoted to vice president of Nuffer, Smith, Tucker and will continue as the PR firm’s director of social media. Siles has been with Nuffer, Smith, Tucker for more than 10 years, and, like NST president Bill Trumpfheller, joined as an intern. She is a two-time graduate of WOMM-U or “Word of Mouth Marketing University.” She received her bachelor’s degree from San Diego State University and recently returned to the university, enrolled in the Executive MBA Program. Siles will continue to be involved in the San Diego Social Media Symposium, an annual event she co-founded in 2009.
Small Business Workshops
SCORE San Diego continues its series of small business workshops. For more information, call (619) 557-7272 or visit score-sandiego.org.
• Oct. 12 Internet Marketing 303: Social Media for Small Businesses 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $49, $59 at the door).
• Oct. 13 Import/Export 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Oct. 15 Business Plan 201: How to Write a Winning Business Plan 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $99, $109 at the door).
• Oct. 15 Effective Marketing: Identify and Target Your Customers 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• Oct. 17 Business Basics 101 9 a.m. to noon at National University in Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Avenue, San Diego 92123; no charge please pre-register).
• Oct. 18 Restaurant 101 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at National University in Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $49, $59 at the door).
The Daily Business Report is produced by REP Publishing Inc., publisher of SD METRO, the North Park News and the West Coast Craftsman. Contact: Manny Cruz (619) 287-1865.