Daily Business Report — July 5, 2012
AmericanWest Bank Completes Acquisition
of Security Business Bank of San Diego
AmericanWest Bank has completed its acquisition of Security Business Bancorp, the parent company of Security Business Bank of San Diego. Security Business Bank shareholders voted to approve the merger at the company’s annual shareholder meeting on May 17. The acquisition adds four branches to AmericanWest Bank’s Southern California presence in Carlsbad, Carmel Valley, Downtown San Diego and Escondido. The bank operates 74 branches in Washington, Idaho, California and Utah. AmericanWest assets total $2.5 billion. It is headquartered in Spokane, Wash.
Goodrich Foundation Awards $100,000
to Workshop for Warriors in San Diego
The Goodrich Foundation has awarded Workshop for Warriors in San Diego a $100,000 grant to support its program that provides job training and skill certification to U.S. veterans at no cost. The Warriors program provides training in welding, milling and machining for wounded, homeless veterans and service men and women about to transition out of active duty. Thousands of veterans are expected to end their military careers over the next several months as the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan wind down. The Goodrich Foundation grant will be used to hire additional instructors in order to increase the number of graduates from Workshops for Warriors. The organization currently has a 100 percent job placement rate for its students. Last year, it received $25,000 from the Goodrich Foundation.
Architecture School offers Exploratory Program
NewSchool of Architecture and Design is accepting applications for the five-week Summer Exploratory program for students interested in learning more about the fields of architecture, landscape architecture and design. The program lasts from July 16 through Aug. 16. It is open to high school or college students, as well as anyone considering a career change or a degree program in architecture and related fields. No previous experience is required. Classes run Monday through Thursday, from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., at the campus in San Diego. Tuition is $1,995.
SAIC Awarded $144 Million Contract
Science Applications International Corp. has been awarded a contract with a potential value of $144 million to provide command and control engineering and technical support services for command centers, with work to be performed in San Diego, Charleston, S.C., Norfolk, Va., New Orleans and Washington, D.C. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Atlantic.
San Diego — Ashley Shafer has joined J. Walcher Communications as account coordinator. Shafer previously was a public relations intern at I.D.E.A., formerly Bailey Gardiner. She also interned at Biola University’s marketing department in La Mirada, Arts PR and Laguna Playhouse theater in Orange County. Shafer holds a bachelor’s degree in journalism, with an emphasis in public relations, from Biola University.
San Diego — Craig M. Audet has been promoted to senior vice president of operations and head of global regulatory affairs for Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc. Audet joined the company in April 2011 as vice president of regulatory affairs. He has more than 25 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry. Before joining Arena, he was vice president and head of the U.S. regulatory affairs marketed products group at Sanofi-Aventis.
SMALL BUSINESS WORKSHOPS
• July 6 – Financial Statements – What They Mean, How to Use Them – 9:30 a.m. to noon at SCORE Entrepreneur Center (550 West C St., #550, San Diego 92101; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).
• July 7 – Are You Ready to Start Your Own Business? – 9 to 11 a.m. at National University – Carlsbad (705 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad 92011; pre-paid registration $15, $20 at the door).
• July 7 – Start-Up Essentials – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at National University – Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• July 7 – Use the Internet to Successfully Market Your Business – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at National University – Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $69, $79 at the door).
• July 10 – Develop a Winning Email Marketing Strategy – 9 a.m. to noon at National University – Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $49, $59 at the door).
• July 11 – How to Develop Your Best Competitive Advantage - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at National University – Kearny Mesa (9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego 92123; pre-paid registration $79, $89 at the door).
• July 12 – Financing Your Business – 9 a.m. to noon at SCORE Entrepreneur Center (550 West C St., #550, San Diego 92101; pre-paid registration $29, $39 at the door).
The Daily Business Report is produced by SD METRO. Contact: Manny Cruz (619) 287-1865. firstname.lastname@example.org.