Daily Business Report-Feb. 17, 2015
Chargers point man Mark Fabiani to the task force: ‘We are keeping a close eye on developments in L.A. We do not have a choice but to also monitor and evaluate our options there.’
Chargers to Task Force:
Don’t Bow to Political Pressure
An attorney for the San Diego Chargers who met with a task force that will make recommendations for siting and financing a new football stadium Monday released a list of guiding principles.
Mark Fabiani, the Chargers point-man in their long search for a new playing facility, said in the six-page statement the nine-member task force should resist pressure “to make a proposal simply for the sake of making a proposal.” The team understood there might not be a publicly acceptable solution, and the task force may come to the same conclusion.
Fabiani also warned that the Chargers would not take part “in any effort to provide political cover for elected officials.”
The eventual proposal must have a strong chance of voter approval, be supported by city officials and consider the economics of the NFL and San Diego, such as limited preferred seat licenses. Funding should also be comparable other cities building stadiums.
The plan would also have to be “implemented by the people now in elected office.
“The Chargers do not intend to waste years of time and millions of dollars on a proposal that city leaders simply do not have the capacity to actually implement,” Fabiani said.
In closing, Fabiani said that in the two decades that Los Angeles and Orange County had been without NFL teams, the Chargers had won fans and business partners there. If another team swoops into those markets, most of that business would disappear — putting the team at a “significant competitive economic disadvantage.”
“We are keeping a close eye on developments in L.A. We do not have a choice but to also monitor and evaluate our options there,” he said. “Simply put, it would be irresponsible for the Chargers not to be taking every possible step to protect the future of the franchise.”
Task force member Jim Steeg, a former NFL executive and ex-Chargers chief operating officer, said that while the Chargers are a part of the stadium conversation, they aren’t the only part.
“This is about something for everybody,” Steeg said.
“The focus has been 10 NFL games a year, or hopefully, 11 or 12 with the playoffs,” he said. “The idea is this is about a venue about umpteen events during a year.”
Steeg said other events would include San Diego State football games, bowl games, the College Football Playoff National Championship and soccer games.
Mayor Kevin Faulconer appointed the task force last month, with an eye toward developing a plan by this fall. That would give city officials time to put together a ballot measure for 2016.
Steeg and task force Chairman Adam Day said an open meeting will be scheduled in a few weeks to take public input.
— City News Service
Air & Space Law Symposium
From Drones to Buck Rogers
The nonprofit Air Law Institute of San Diego will present the second annual Air & Space Law Symposium March 12-14 that will include debate on the future of drone regulation and the commercialization of space flight among the topics on the table.
The symposium will be hosted by California Western School of Law and the San Diego Air & Space Museum.
The event will feature top speakers and panelists from the aerospace industry and legal community. Topics will examine past, present, and future state regulatory structures, integration of unmanned aircraft into the global airspace system, and the commercialization of space in the 21st century and beyond. Online registration is now open at www.airlawinstitute.org.
• Drone Exemptions for Commercial Operations
• Intellectual Property in the Air & Space Industry
• Cybersecurity in Aerospace
• Large Unmanned Systems
• The Current Future State of Space Law
Friday, March 13
• Symposium Panels. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
California Western School of Law.
Includes breakfast, refreshments and light lunch with guest speakers.
• Awards Reception 6 to 9 p.m.
San Diego Air & Space Museum
Lincoln Property Company
Purchases Carlsbad Buildings
CARLSBAD — Lincoln Property Company has purchased a two-building, 68,392-square-foot R&D/office park in Carlsbad for $11.9 million.
The two coastal Carlsbad buildings, located at 5993 and 5999 Avenida Encinas, were 80 percent occupied at the time of purchase. Rick Reeder and Aric Stark of DTZ represented both buyer and seller in the transaction.
“We are excited about this most recent purchase in the most prominent and visible coastal location in Carlsbad,” said Brig Black, executive vice president-Southern California of Lincoln Property Company. “We plan to complete substantial upgrades to the landscaping, exteriors and interiors of the buildings to attract creative and lifestyle-oriented tenants.”
The acquisition marks Lincoln Property Company’s fourth purchase in North County in the past year. A few months ago, the company acquired the three-building, 81,118-square-foot Research Center Plaza, also in Carlsbad, located at 232, 2234 and 2236 Rutherford Road.
San Diegans Using More Water Despite Drought
Despite experiencing one of the most severe droughts in California history, most people living in San Diego County used more water last year than they used in each of the preceding four years, according to an analysis released today by Equinox Center.
“There’s some good news in this report, but overall it shows just about everyone needs to a better job conserving water,” said Ray Ellis, Equinox Center board chair. “Perhaps just as important is the need for clear and consistent messaging from all of our water districts and government agencies.”
Equinox’s analysis examined water consumption levels at San Diego County Water Authority (SDCWA) member agencies between fiscal years 2010 and 2014.
Last year, according to Equinox’s analysis, the SDCWA agencies with the lowest average residential water consumption were Sweetwater Authority, the City of San Diego, and the City of Escondido.
The agencies with the highest average residential water consumption last year were Santa Fe Irrigation District, Rainbow Municipal Water District, and Valley Center Municipal Water District.
40,000 Expected to Crowd Gaslamp Quarter
More than 40,000 revelers are expected to celebrate Mardi Gras in the Gaslamp Quarter on Tuesday night, with music, food and drink and a New Orleans-style parade down Fifth Avenue.
The annual “Fat Tuesday” event will include entertainment on five stages with headliner Snoopadelic, specials at more than 20 restaurants and bars in the area, and the parade.
The event, which benefits the Gaslamp Quarter Historical Foundation, begins at 5 p.m. and runs to midnight in an area around Fifth and Sixth avenues and E Street to K Street.
General admission tickets cost $40. VIP tickets, which include a special entrance, a parade viewing party and other perks, are $120.
To handle the crowds, the Metropolitan Transit System is adding late-night trolleys.
During the event Green Line trains will operate every 30 minutes, then every 15 minutes beginning at 10:38 p.m. and continuing until 12:08 a.m. There is a final train at 12:38 a.m. Blue and Orange lines trolleys will operate on a 30-minute schedule during and after the festivities, with final trains at 12:22 a.m. and 12:25 a.m. respectively.
The Gaslamp Quarter Station is served by the Green Line and the Fifth Avenue Station is served by the Blue and Orange lines. Both stations are a block away from entrances to the Mardis Gras party.
Attendees can park free at trolley stations and ride into downtown. In addition, Qualcomm Stadium has 5,000 free parking spots.
— Times of San Diego